Bellefonte is the Best Fly Fishing Town in PA
Members of the Pennsylvania fly-fishing community at PaFlyFish.com resoundingly selected Bellefonte in a recent poll as the Best Fly-Fishing Town in Pennsylvania. The town was chosen not only for the close proximity to the many wonderful streams in the area, but its hospitality, shops,dining and accommodations. With a lodging named Riffles and Runs Bed and Breakfast and Outfitters, how can this not be a wonderful fly fishing town?
Anglers enjoy the world-class fly-fishing waters of famed Spring Creek that runs right through Bellefonte, fed in Talleyrand Park by the mighty 11-million-gallon-per-day Big Spring, "La BelleFonte" that, according to local legend, gives the historic borough its name. Other prominent streams such as Penns Creek, Fishing Creek, Spruce Creek and the Little Juniata River are all in close proximity too. The mountain-fed and limestone streams provide cool, productive waters throughout the year that are a delight to fly fishing enthusiasts.
Why Fish Bellefonte?
- We love anglers! Catch and release fishing is available WITHIN the Borough between High and Lamb Streets!
- There are five world-famous fishing streams within a 1/2 hour drive.
- Cold, clean, limestone water at a constant 52 degrees—no freeze means year-round access.
- Spring Creek is reported to have the highest number of wild fish in PA.
- The Fisherman's Paradise public fishing preserve on Spring Creek is close by.
- Great local tackle shops and bed and breakfasts that specialize in anglers.
- The area has an active Trout Unlimited Chapter and the US Youth National Flyfishing Team is Headquartered in nearby State College.
Local Fishing and Fly Fishing Resources
- Richardson Chest Fly Box Company
814-355-3188; 116 North Thomas Street Bellefonte, Pa 16823; www.chestflybox.com
- Riffles and Runs Bed and Breakfast, specializing in serving anglers
814-353-8109; Steve and Connie McCulley, 217 North Spring St., Bellefonte, PA 16823; www.rifflesandruns.bellefonte.com
- Jim's Mino and Bait Shop
814-353-4069; 121 Bullit Run Road Howard, PA 16841
- Rich's Bait Shop
814-353-8829; 2255 North Eagle Valley Road Howard, PA 16841
- Flyfisher's Paradise
814-234-4189; 2603 East College Avenue (Behind the Long John Silver's) State College, PA; www.flyfishersparadise.com
- TCO Fly Shop
814-689-3654; 2030 East College Avenue State College, PA; www.tcoflyfishing.com